What do you think of Khan Academy?
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

April 14, 2011 09:34AM
Dear Shalom and List:
There has been much talk in educational technology circles in the last few weeks about Salman Khan's Khan Academy and the "Flipped Classroom" model that he is promoting. For example, here is an extensive discussion about this model on the YU 2.0 Community of Practice: [yu20.org]

Khan Academy features over 2100 videos in Math and Science as well as math practice exercises covering everything from basic addition to advanced calculus. You can visit Khan Academy here: [www.khanacademy.org].

Salman Khan would like to use this to "flip the classroom" where students watch the videos prior to class and then devote class time to additional student centered practice with the teacher functioning as the "Guide on the Side" and doing more advanced or real world examples of each skill with the class. You can watch Salman Khan describing his vision here: [www.youtube.com].

I was wondering what my fellow Lookjeders thought of this model. Do you think it is a good model for Jewish education and if yes, in what ways could it be adapted to the Jewish Day School classroom?
I welcome your thoughts.

Chag Kasher VeSameach,
Tzvi Pittinsky
Director of Educational Technology
The Frisch School, Paramus, NJ
Subject Author Posted

Tzvi Pittinsky April 14, 2011 09:34AM

Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator