Teaching Jewish History to Middle school students
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

July 13, 2009 11:22PM
I am currently in the process of creating a Jewish History curriculum for 7th and 8th grade students in a Modern Orthodox day school. The Jewish History class in our school meets only once a week so the curriculum needs to fit within this time constraint. I have attempted to focus on primary sources as much as possible. Many of these sources, however, prove difficult for this age group to decipher and analyze. An age-appropriate secondary source that covers a wide range of Jewish History (and that each student could own) would be helpful. I have yet to find a text that works well in a Modern Orthodox Yeshiva setting; one that is both open minded and respectful of Rabbinic tradition. I often use the Behrmann texts (Jonathan Sarna) as a teacher's guide (they provide great ideas for keeping middle school kids excited about Jewish History!) but they are clearly written for a different student population.
I am curious to know what other Middle School Jewish History teachers are using as texts or if there is any age appropriate curriculum that has already been created and used effectively in this age group.
Subject Author Posted

Laurie Pinchot July 13, 2009 11:22PM

Re: Teaching Jewish History to Middle school students

Yigal Sklarin July 14, 2009 06:04PM

Stories to Enhance the Teaching of Jewish History

Annette Labovitz July 20, 2009 12:58AM

Re: Stories to Enhance the Teaching of Jewish History

Annette Labovitz July 25, 2009 02:49PM

Re: Stories to Enhance the Teaching of Jewish History

Michael Berkowitz August 02, 2009 08:48AM

Students substitute Hollywood fiction for historical fact

Barnea Levi Selavan August 20, 2009 02:15AM

Tzvi Klugerman July 20, 2009 08:29AM

Edward Prince July 23, 2009 02:47PM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator